Dennis F. Fredricks is licensed in the State of California with a specialization in international and domestic business law. He is an advisor and counselor to individuals, companies and governmental agencies in the US and Europe for market entry and expansion strategies, the structuring of business associations, contract negotiations, copyright and trademark transactions, securing US business visas, financing issues, and dispute resolution. He is frequently referred or retained by other lawyers in matters involving cross-border litigation or transactions between U.S. and European parties.
Mr. Fredricks represents clients active in software licensing, environmental technologies, industrial manufacturing, furniture and fashion distribution, real estate acquisition and sales, food and beverage distribution, and the automotive and aviation industries among others. He acts as production counsel in Los Angeles for independent feature films and television programs and transacts in literary works for book authors and screenwriters. Similarly he represents sellers and collectors of vintage art as well as contemporary painters.
In additional to commercial businesses, Mr. Fredricks represents a number of 501(c)(3) non-profit corporations, foundations, charities and cultural institutions.
He also handles the firm’s wills and trusts practice as well as probate matters.
Mr. Fredricks is the managing attorney of the Los Angeles law firm of Fredricks & von der Horst. The firm interacts with corresponding law firms in Austria, the Czech Republic, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Poland and Switzerland. The firm has an in-house language bank that includes French, German, Hungarian and Polish.
Mr. Fredricks is the Special Counsel to the Consulates General of
- Germany (2001)
- Austria, the Consulate General and the Austrian Trade Commission (2001)
- Switzerland (2011)
- France (2011)
- Belgium (2011)
- Croatia (2012)
- Czech Republic (2012)
- Bulgaria (2013)
He also serves as reference counsel to Consulates and Trade Commissions of
- Hungary and Poland
Professional affiliations of his include the Los Angeles Eric M. Warburg Chapter of the American Council on Germany, board member; the Austrian-American Council West, legal advisor; the Beverly Hills Bar Association; the Book Publicists of Southern California; the Friends of Goethe, board member; Francophone Chamber of Commerce, the Hungarian American Coalition, Washington DC; the Order of Innocence, Stockholm, Sweden; and the Swiss-American Chamber of Commerce. Since 1990, through the firm, Mr. Fredricks has sponsored an in-office internship program that has seen more than 120 interns from seven countries. He is a donor and patron to several foundations and charities.
- On April 20, 2001, he was awarded the Bundesverdienstkreuz (Cross of Merit) by the Federal Republic of Germany
- On November 11, 2001, he was awarded the Amicus Poloniae by the Republic of Poland
- On October 23, 2006, he was awarded the Freedom Medal by the Republic of Hungary
- On September 24, 2009, Mr. Fredricks was named "Commercial Ambassador of the City of Cologne" by Lord Mayor Fritz Schramma
- On April 14, 2013, he was presented the Order of the Knight’s Cross of the Republic of Hungary
- On June 15, 2013, he was named Honorary Commercial Attaché by the Hungarian Ministry of Commerce
- On October 11, 2014, Mr. Fredricks was presented the Recognition Award of the Austrian American Council West, which was accompanied by a parallel commendation scroll from the City of Los Angeles
- On March 30, 2017, he was awarded the Order of Merit in Gold for Services to the Republic of Austria
Mr. Fredricks has chaired or moderated a number of live and recorded symposia for the University of California Los Angeles (UCLA), the Voice of America Radio, for the Exame Group in Sâo Paolo, Brazil, and he has hosted roundtable seminars for delegations from the German Television networks and the Vienna Bar Association. Since 2001, Mr. Fredricks has conducted a series of seminars for members of the diplomatic missions in Los Angeles focusing on issues of comparative law and taxation between the US and European jurisdictions, featuring guest expert speakers in addition to members of the firm.
Select publications Mr. Fredricks has authored or co-written include "Entering the US Market in the 2010's" for various trade media as well as "Unternehmensgründung in Kalifornien" for the German American Chamber of Commerce. He was interviewed on U.S. television on the subject of copyrighting intellectual property, for VOX Television (Germany) on the subject of German film subsidies, and by Los Angeles Film and Music on the subject of film and television coproduction He has served as juror for film festivals.